Thursday 27 June 2013

BOWEN MEMOIRS: THE CURTAIN OPENS


Once again I was reminded my parents get to make the tough decisions, you will be going to Bowen was the verdict and no one dare appeal my case. I took it in good faith (not like I had any choice), all I had to do was tweak my thoughts on how my university days will be, I have had too many vague episodes of how life will be in OAU or should have been, Jubee and I going for night lectures, me staying off campus, probability of getting laid, I now had to wipe out all that from my bank and start having fresh thoughts about a school I so detest.
Before I could think of my new school, I was there, it was real, this wasn’t one of my random thoughts, I could feel the sun turn my sweat to bubbles as I made way towards the photocopying house. I was a bit proud of myself because that will be the first time my father will lose sight of me that day, he had been by my side every signature of the registration process which was a bit embarrassing. That lasted a few minutes as I joined up with him and we both went to the hostel I was allocated to. After I settled in and my Father was sure I’m ok, he took his leave. This was the part some students will cry, well, I am not some students so I simply shed tears before my other roommates get back. I was alone in the room, everything was quiet, I could hear my heart beat, I was scared for no reason, the more I tried to compose myself the more terrified I got, it felt like my nursery school days when I’m always scared to go to school.
It was a week after resumption and everybody was settling in, seven out of eight roommates had resumed, being a fresher, you had no choice than to get close to your roommates, especially your bunk mate. Mine was Segun, a boy from Ikorodu, he is almost as black as I am, other roommates were Ayotunde(can talk for the Africa) he never runs out of garri, sugar and groundnut, he was also a catholic which made us relate more because of my background. Bode seems to be a proud boy until you get to know him better then you find out he is still proud(girl issues brought us together) Bolaji, Pelumi and Victor completed the circle. I was the youngest in the room and for no reason gave myself away, respect is reciprocal they say.
It wasn’t only my roommates I was bonding with, I was trying to get on the good side of the ladies although the taller, muscular, and fancy dressers had acquired all’em fine girls. My shy nature wouldn’t let me talk to any girl that is not with my note or biro, It was me and my mp3 and white creative ear piece all the way, MI had this Anoti song, it was always on auto replay.
Lectures started, Stalites resumed, the tap, cafeteria and ATM queues got longer, chapel services got interesting, the semester was on 3G and my milk tin was making too much noise. It then evident that the next 4 years of my life will be spent here, evident that my life would be shaped for good here, evident that I might fall in love here, evident that I will meet great and interesting people, and interestingly it all happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment